Ecology Study Options
Barcelona is surrounded by a number of spectacular and
unspoiled Natural Parks. Field study sites include the limestone landscapes of
the Garraf and Montserrat Natural Parks, the wetlands of the Ebro Delta , the
alpine landscape of Montseny, the volcanic scenery of Garrotxa Volcanic Park,
the glacial topography of the Vall de Nuria and the Banyoles karstic lake
Together, these sites offer study options related to marine, freshwater, and terrestrial ecosystems, the major nutrient and metabolic cycles, and distinctive plant and animal communities.
Barcelona itself provides several interesting study options for the urban ecologist, including several unique ecosystems and communities, and visits to the Botanical Garden and the Barcelona zoo.
Accommodation is provided in the quiet beach resorts of Sitges
or Calafell, close to Barcelona. The hotels provide a self-contained teaching
base as well as a relaxing and secure environment for staff and students. All
accommodation, meals, and transport are provided during your stay in Spain.
Barcelona Field Studies Centre offers:
- Centre-taught and Centre-assisted courses lead by highly experienced, qualified teachers.
- Effects of fire on Mediterranean ecosystems. Location: Garraf Natural Park
- Mediterranean Wetlands studies. Location: Ebro Delta
- Mediterranean woodland productivity. Location: El Vendrell
- Riparian ecology and Macro invertebrate studies. Location: Montseny
- Sand dune vegetation succession studies. Location: Llobregat Delta
An exciting range of study options including:
- All equipment and study materials.
- Specific GCSE, AS, A, and IB syllabus options.
- Internet support and data archive.
- Optional cultural activities including visits to the Ramblas, The Picasso Museum, Gaudi architecture, the Olympic, Roman Barcelona, Temple of the Sagrada Familia, the Maremagnum entertainment complex, and the Port Aventura Theme Park near Salou. A traditional tapas meal can be arranged. A visit to the FC Barcelona stadium and a football match are further possibilities.
- Free teacher places.
- Competitive prices.
For school staff, every effort is made to make the organisation of the trip as straightforward as possible. The deposit is not required until your transport booking has been made and full payment is required only upon your arrival in Barcelona.
The aim is to make your stay as safe and as relaxing as possible. The friendliness of the hotel, its secure nature, beach location and usually guaranteed sunshine all help in this respect. Staff are able to concentrate on other aspects of student learning that are not often possible with traditional self-led fieldwork.