Diagonal Mar and Universal Forum of Cultures 2004
• Project of Hines, an American real estate group based in Houston Texas.
• 1,400 new apartments within a self-contained 'hyper-community', the first to be completed at the end of this year.
• Common private areas with leisure amenities.
• Largest retail centre in Catalunya and Spain (87,000m²), opened in November 2001.
• New concept shopping centre designed by Jean-Louis Solal, a leader in the modern shopping industry.
• Eco-friendly, with pneumatic rubbish disposal chutes, orientation of buildings for a better absorption of sunlight, location with respect to prevailing winds, garden irrigation from rain water collectors etc.
• Underground car parking for 5,000 cars - the largest underground car park in Europe (3,400m²).
• New 14 hectare park (the third largest in Barcelona) ceded for public use.
• New zone of 3 hotels and office buildings.
• Completion by 2005.
• 1,500 employed in construction.
• Summer 2004.
• New type of world event - a 'Cultural Olympics'.
• New installations to host the main activities located on 50 hectares of former industrial land adjacent to the river Besòs.
• Convention site with the capacity to hold congresses of up to 15,000 people.
• An auditorium, with a capacity for 3,200 people, will be located in the Forum Building. The Convention Centre and Forum building are connected by a 20-metre-wide underground walkway.
• Land reclamation.
• New marina.
• New beaches and off-shore breakwater.
• New zoo.
• Forum activities will extend throughout Barcelona.
• Hotel and office facilities of Diagonal Mar to be utilised.
• Co-organised by the Barcelona City Council, the Catalan autonomous Government and the Spanish Government, with UNESCO as the main partner.
• Business sponsors include Teléfonica, Endesa, IBM and MRW.